WOW is looking for a new publisher/managing editor!
The independent contractor position, starting August 1, 2022 and training in July, requires a creative, motivated, deadline-oriented individual working out of his/her home office.
WOW’s Publisher/Managing Editor oversees the financial management of World of Westchase, Inc., working closely with its board of directors to promulgate and implement magazine policies. The full-time staff member oversees the publication of all editions of WOW, the Westchase Resident and Business Directory and WOW’s monthly e-zine and email blasts, contributing and assigning their stories as needed. WOW’s publisher/managing editor also supervises and manages all of WOW’s private contractors, including WOW’s business manager, advertising manager and graphic designer, and other vendors, and administers and oversees WOW’s social media accounts and website.
The ideal candidate has experience with managing staff; print and digital publishing; writing and copy editing; and administering website content management systems and social media platforms. The preferred candidate also has a basic familiarity with (or ability to quickly learn) software applications such as Quickbooks, Windows, and mass email applications.
Preferred candidates also live within the neighborhoods where WOW magazine is physically distributed.
The private contractor’s compensation will be $65,000-$70,000 annually, commensurate with experience, and has the potential for an annual performance bonus.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter to WOW Publisher Chris Barrett at [email protected]
The deadline is May. 8.
- Oversee the creation, production, publication and delivery of WOW, the Westchase Resident and Business Directory, the mid-month e-zine and the publisher’s monthly WOW email blasts
- Oversee westchasewow.com and WOW’s social media sites
Expand WOW’s social media presence as appropriate
- Handle public relations
- Supervise all WOW private contractors, including but not limited to the Business Manager, Advertising Manager, Graphic Designer and contracted WOW writers
- Track and address donation charitable/donation requests made to WOW
- Along with Business Manager, coordinate distribution dates with printer and distribution manager
- Organize and manage the Westchase/Northwest Thanksgiving Food Drive; oversee and assist business manager, as needed, in the planning for WOW charitable events, such as the Egg Hunt, Great West Chase races and food truck rallies.
- With assistance of WOW’s CPA firm as needed, make annual filings required by governmental authorities, including the State of Florida and the United States Internal Revenue Service
- Manage and keep current domain names and any other copyright or trademark filings
- Oversee and annually bid out contracts with significant vendors, such as printing
- Present recommended advertising rate increases, policies and procedures to WOW Board as needed
- Maintain WOW records, including official records
- Maintain extra copies of WOW and annual directory, as well as promotional and other items, for WOW’s archive
- Work with Business Manager in preparation of annual budget
- Prepare financial reports at least quarterly for board meetings
- Maintain insurance for WOW and its directors, officers, independent contractors, volunteers and agents
- Assist in annual audit or financial review and annual tax filings, as needed
- Participate in all WOW, Inc. meetings, including, but not limited to, the annual, special and quarterly meetings unless requested otherwise
As Managing Editor
- Develop, write and/or assign stories for all editions of the magazine, the mid-month ezine and the WOW email blasts
- Maintain and develop WOW’s email lists and mass email communication platforms
- Assign or provide for news coverage of most significant community meetings
- Administer/maintain WOW’s website, westchasewow.com
- Build relationships with community leaders in the Westchase Community Association and WOW Northwest’s distribution area to develop story leads and subjects for both magazine editions
- Oversee all copy editing
- Supervise contract reporters and writers
- Maintain a digital archive of the magazine
- Conduct monthly proofing of graphic artist’s pre-printing layouts and printer’s proofs
- Administer the Westchase Neighborhood News Facebook page and other social media sites
By Chris Barrett, Publisher